Sunday, November 20, 2011

Worth a thousand words

So, I've been taking some pictures today, and it occurred to me that it might be fun/worthwhile to show you a few pictures and mention a few of my favorite online photo sites. I like photography, because it lets you see things that you might overlook. I feel like the best pictures I've taken have maybe done that. They did for me, anyway, as I was taking them.

Here's one of the first decent pictures I took, of an elephant at the Columbus Zoo:



As I looked at this photo later, it reminded me a little of those pictures you see of people in the Great Depression. He's stuck behind the electric fence, and surely he isn't too happy, or he wouldn't spend his time throwing straw on his back. I think zoos do a lot of good work, saving endangered species, educating the public...but looking at this elephant made me realize why some people think they're more of a danger than a help.

I also like this picture - it might take a few tries to spot the butterfly:



And now on to good websites - these pictures, I've put up at a very interesting website - www.momentile.com

Momentile's front page says, "Tell a tale without ever saying a word, one photo at a time."Its users (including me, when the spirit strikes) do just that, uploading no more than one photo a day as a 'tile', available for all other site users to see. If you like someone else's, you can save it to view later, or follow that person to see what photos they post next.

Another site I hope you've all looked at by now is Google Earth (www.google.com/earth)Not a website per se, but free software for your computer or mobile phone. You can browse the globe and see photos from all over. Ever wonder what it looks like in Lebanon? The middle of the Amazon rain forest? Cleveland? Wonder no longer. Someone has been there before you, and Google has the photos that they took. Too cool.

Well, that's my 2 cents for the day. What are your favorite photograpy websites?

No comments:

Post a Comment