Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Results Are In



So here we have it - our chocolate eclairs, in person. The above photo will illustrate why this is not, in fact, a good potluck recipe. Because that's all there is. Minus the one I ate. Hey, it was for research! There were also a few things that came to light while making the recipe:

1. We only had one cup of milk left, so I substituted vanilla almond milk for the other cup. Worked just as well - maybe even better - but I did have to let it boil for another two minutes, because almond milk appears not to set up as fast.

2. If you use aluminum foil, hoping to save the $4 on parchment paper, some of your eclairs may stick to the pan. I solved this by putting two together to create one, which makes it giant, puffy and decadent. I could see this either being a good or bad thing, depending on your mood. Not so good for potlucks, though.

3. The recipe says to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of hot water to make the chocolate frosting. I don't know whether this is humidity/altitude related, because of living in Colorado, but I added four, and I'm still not sure it couldn't have done with another. Easy spreading was not its forte.

They are exceptionally yummy though. I'm not sure I'd make them again for a while - too labor intensive for the quantity of end result. But I think they were at least a small success. Much tastier than a long john from the doughnut shop!

No comments:

Post a Comment