Monday, December 26, 2011

Haven't We Been Here Before?



Yesterday, my family and I went to see a movie that was frankly, silly. I hadn't really wanted to see it, but I love going to the movies, and every time I think, "Wow! Won't this be a terrible movie?" I remember what a good time I've had watching terrible movies in the past, like Starship Troopers or the movie with the hamster secret agents. Sometimes it's as much about the theater experience as it is the movie itself. So, a Christmas outing seemed like a fine idea.

But as I was sitting in the movie - The Darkest Hour, which, for those of you who missed the preview, is about invisible aliens made of electricity who overtake Russia and kill instantly by blasting people unlucky enough to touch them to smithereens - as I was watching this, I started to think of how much this set reminded me of another set, which leads me to today's topic: movies that share sets. I thought this would be the kind of thing that is easy to look up online, because the internet is filled with both trivia lovers and movie buffs. Sadly, it is not. There are a few websites who have been here before, among them this one. I've also learned of a few specific examples. Did you know that the Desperate Housewives live in the same neighborhood as Samantha from Bewitched? Or that Back to the Future and To Kill a Mockingbird shared the same town? The most blatant example I can personally think of is a BBC crossover moment. When I watched the old BBC version of Ballet Shoes (a cute movie about three orphaned girls who excel in the arts, based on a book by Noel Streatfeild), I was surprised to see that the girls apparently lived in Jean and Lionel's house, from As Time Goes By. Their living room had been rearranged, but it made for an eerily familiar effect, especially when they went up the stairs. It's hard to change stairs.

Unfortunately, I could find absolutely no indication that the movie I saw yesterday shared a set. Apparently, most of it was shot on location in Russia. But I still think this topic is ripe for a website. Well, readers? Do you have any other good examples of this phenomenon?

No comments:

Post a Comment