Wednesday, January 8, 2014

52 Weeks of Cooking start now!


Inspired by Reddit's subreddit 52 Weeks of Cooking, I plan to post a new recipe here each week, as my blog lies fallow and sadly neglected. Actually, I plan to post more than one recipe each week, as I have wanted to do the 52 week cooking challenge for quite a while now, and may try to catch up on last year's posts in between waiting for this week's.

This week, the theme is egg. Eggs are not a favorite of mine, although I suspect they may be like ham - something that I hate in theory but love in several forms (chip chop ham, for instance - though if you are not in Pittsburgh, good luck finding a deli counter guy who knows what that is and doesn't give you a really weird look when you ask for it!). I love eggs benedict, and 'dip eggs', which may be sunny-side up, but which I think of as being cooked on the second side just a bit also, all the better to dip your buttery toast into.

After extensive 'research' (looking through cookbooks for a recipe that is not something I do everyday, seems reasonably photogenic, and most of all, tasty), I settled on The Flavor Thesaurus' egg and coconut entry recipe, with a few variations. Here is what I did, in a nutshell:


Coconut Egg Custard
4 eggs - whisk them. 1/2 cup sugar - whisk it in. 1 cup coconut milk - whisk it in. Sprinkle a little flaked coconut in. Put a little more on top.
Bake it in a 300 degree F. oven, in ramekins inside of a cake pan or similar, with ramekins sitting inside of cake pan with water about halfway up the side of the ramekins. (in the cake pan, outside of the ramekins)
Recipe says it takes 40 minutes, but it took me about 50.
When it finishes baking (you can insert clean knife into top of ramekin), sprinkle a little more coconut on top for garnish. My husband liked his with whipped cream, I didn't put any on mine. It's best slightly warm.

Do you have a favorite egg recipe? Or are you, like me, a little on the fence about eggs?

No comments:

Post a Comment